In the art world it’s called a gradient. In the party and fashion world it’s called ombré. I’m excited to share with you how to make stickers and labels for favors using the latest party color trend…ombré. Those of you who are Pinterest fans will know what ombré is, but for the rest of you ombré is color or tones that shade into each other from light to dark in a gradual fashion. For anyone planning a party or wedding with ombré color we have great news. Making labels for your wine, water bottle labels, beer or hang tags with this trendsetting color idea is easy using our design studio. Now you can match your labels with your ombré party décor, including your cake and decorations.
I positively swoon when I look at these beautiful ombré cakes and cookies found at Wilton Cakes.
(c)2014 Wilton Industries, Inc. Used with permission.
Wow! Is all I can say to Mandy from House of Rose for her blue ombré themed birthday party. Take a look at the party décor she made for one of her son’s birthday.
Used with permission by Mandy Rose from houseofroseblog.com
Now I’ll show you how to add an ombré background to a label. It sounds technical, but it’s not, it’s very simple to do. Watch the video below. The example label is Wedding Wine label template named Trellis. I’m changing it from solid pink background color to red ombré in the label design studio. I’ve already adjusted the text colors now all it needs is the ombré background. Once you see how easy it is to do you’ll want to make all of your stickers and labels this way.
TIP: Ombré looks best with the darkest color at the bottom of the design.
Below are step-by-step instructions if you want to refer them after you watch the video. Convert a solid background to an obmré color by following these steps:
- Select a template with a background color you can edit. (Not all of the designs have editable backgrounds.) Or you can start at Make Your Own and design a label from scratch.
- Decide what color scheme you want.
- Choose the product size (if necessary) and the quantity and click on the Customize It button. Now you are in the design screen.
- Select the Palette from the Background Options. A color box will pop up.
- Choose Linear Gradient from the tabs on the color picker. It’s the middle tab.
- The color picker will change to a gradient screen with color drops at the bottom. I like to start with the base color on the right.
- Double click the drop on the right and the color chart will pop up. Choose your base color and click on it. (You can use the color picker or if you know your code type it in the # box.) Click OK.
- Next click on a spot at the base of the gradient a new color drop will appear. Double click on it to make the color chart reappear and choose the next color lighter.
- Repeat the process in step 8 with as many color gradations as you want going lighter in the same tone each time. Adjust the spacing of the drops by moving them with your mouse.
- Grab and hold the black #1 at the top left corner and drag to the center top of your screen to place the lightest part of the ombré at the top of your design.
- Grab and hold the black #2 at the top right corner and drag to the center bottom of your screen to place the darkest part of the ombré at the bottom of your design.
- Adjust the ombré color fade by moving the drops with your mouse. When you like the final effect click OK.
TIP: Create an account to save your designs. Then you can go back later and edit them or show them to your friends.
Picture how amazing ombré favors will look at your next party. Here are some photos of ombré labels I created.
The white gable box is wrapped in four inch tulle ribbon and finished with an ombré label. I used two labels sizes in this photo; a wine label and a 8 inch by 2.125 inch water bottle label.
A gable box is perfect to give out-of-town wedding guests. This box is 8 inches by 5 inches and is large enough to hold all kinds of goodies.
Water bottle labels with the ombre color take bottled water up a notch. Don’t be afraid to store the bottles in ice and water. The water bottle labels are waterproof and colorfast.
Set one of these bottles on each table at your party as part of the centerpiece. A bottle with a custom wine label also makes an amazing gift for anniversaries, weddings and birthdays. I like to soak the existing label off the bottle in warm soapy water. Dry the bottle and apply the label. The nice thing about the label material we use is it withstands cold and hot temperatures, yet stays stuck to the bottle and the color stays too.
Any questions about creating your own ombré labels? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or chat with us weekdays 9 am to 4 pm Pacific time on our website.