- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery (2 stalks), chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, seeded & sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp dried basil, crushed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 3 cans (26 oz) whole tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- cayenne pepper
In a heavy saute pan, melt butter and oil over medium heat.
Add onion, celery, green bell peppers and garlic. Saute until vegetables are tender.
Add water, tomato paste, parsley, Worcestershire, salt, basil, thyme, bay leaf, tomatoes and black pepper.
Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Serve over shrimp, crab or other seafood with rice.
Yields 20 servings