- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 cube), plus 2 Tbsp, divided
- 5 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped and divided
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 (35oz) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 (35oz) can whole tomatoes
- Salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- Fontina cheese, grated
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add 3 Tbsp basil, chopped onion and 4 cloves garlic. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Pour in tomatoes and their liquid. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
In a food processor or blender, puree tomato mixture in small batches. Return mixture to saucepan. (Soup can be stored in refrigerator up to one day ahead at this point.)
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter. Add remaining 2 Tbsp basil, garlic and Italian seasoning and sauté for 5 minutes. Combine sautéed herbs with chicken broth and tomato mixture. Simmer until heated through. Serve immediately and garnish with grated Fontina cheese.
Yield 8-10 servings